Swallow Your Pride(and Drink)

Alright friends, the little write-up to the side of the blog does not kid...I am a Bud Light fan through and through. I drink it all the time, I promote it, it is the proverbial life blood that fuels my social life. I am pretty much a Bud Light poster boy for The Northeast, along with some of my friends. I drink others beers from time to time, but no other light beers...sorry Coors and Milller. NT3, on the other hand has a more welcoming and far less ignorant palate than me....poor guy.

Having said that, something happened the other night that challenged my very principles as a person, nevertheless as a loyal Bud Light drinker. I was at the bar with some people Thursday night when a friend of a friend sent over a pitcher of beer to the table...




it was MILLER LITE....
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/30/65975072_431772a43a.jpg?v=0See full size imageSee full size image





I didn't even need to hear him order the pitcher or taste it, we knew it was Miller Lite. Sure enough, upon further examination, it was indeed that other "lite" beer, and I was faced with a situation I never want to be in again.

Now, I had just finished my beer, and stared at the full pitcher cautiously studying the non-Bud Light contents. My beer was empty, there was a full pitcher, and the guy was right next to us...I couldn't possibly insult the guy by not drinking the beer he bought us, right? on the other hand, I couldn't possibly compromise my beer beliefs, right?

The others at the table looked at me, wondering what I would do, if I would place etiquette and courtesy over taste and loyalty, or if my beer instincts would take over and displace my sense of graciousness and gratitude.

Then I did it. I poured myself a glass of Miller Lite, thanked the guy, and choked down the beer like I was 6 years old and my mom was sticking a spoonful of medicine in my mouth. It's also possible I shed a tear, just like I probably would have nearly 20 years ago.

Lesson to be learned:

Though we may all have favorite beers or ignorant taste buds, there are few things more sacred and honored than when someone buys you a beer. You drink it, pretend to like it, be grateful for it....don't do it for yourself, do it for the person who bought you it. This is obviously a small metaphor for life as well, and I'm all about life lessons. It's better to swallow your pride for an instant, then breach etiquette and insult. (Pun very much intended, expect way more of those in the future)


Keep drinkin'

No comments:

Post a Comment