Putting the Bar in Bar-B-Q

Is it possible to have a true outdoor barbecue without alcohol?

I'm not sure, but if any of you out there try it, let me know how it goes, because I fear the results will be less than stellar. My friends and I cook out a lot, no seriously, A LOT, so you'll be hearing much about my cookout philosophies, but here's a taste.

Grilling and drinking go hand in hand, literally. For me, while I grill, I virtually always have the spatula or food utensil in my left hand and a frosty mug in my right. (NT3: Interesting, because I always go with the beer in left hand, spatula in right hand approach.) It's a right of passage when you become the resident "Grill Master" and work the grill while everyone else is hanging out, drinking, socializing, etc. It's a unique feeling because although you may be removed from all the action physically, you're actually the center of the magic, everything relies on you. The fate of the party's appetite lies in your hands.

That's a pretty big responsibility, and it's not something that anyone can or should do. Oh no, quite the contrary, a true Grill Master is able to balance the responsibility of the cooking with the other aspects of the party. Earlier tonight as I was grilling for some friends, I had the pleasure of having someone constantly fill up my beer as I was working the grill. This role is vital to the Grill Master because it allows us to focus on the food and not have to worry about filling up our glasses. Next time you're at a cookout, do everyone a favor, and make sure the person manning the grill doesn't have to get his/her own drink. Remember, keep the cook happy; some good advice for ya.

Now, during cookouts, variety in your beverages can make or break the party. Sure, everyone knows what I'll be drinking, but if you're hosting, you better bring the good stuff and not phone in the choices. If you're going to do something then do it right. That's not just a cookout philosophy of mine, that's a life philosophy of mine.

A summer time fan favorite at my cookouts are Mudslides. They're delicious, they're creamy, they're refreshing, they're pretty strong, they're cold-I see no downside here. Plus they sorta act like a dessert, how can you go wrong? Next time you're hosting a cookout in the summer, throw in a frozen concoction like a Mudslide and see what people think, especially the women out there. My guess, it'll be a big hit.


See ya at the next cook out-I'll be the one with the beer and spatula in my hands

No comments:

Post a Comment